Picadillo-Style Chicken Taco Salad
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 1/2cups greens, 1/4 of the chicken mixture, 1 tablespoon shredded cheese, and 1/2 of a tostado shell
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 25
- 12 ounces uncooked ground chicken
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14 1/2 – ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled potato (1 small)
- 1/4 cup snipped pitted dried plums (prunes)
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 2 corn tostada shells
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese (1 ounce)
- Sliced green onion (optional)
- Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a large skillet cook chicken and onion over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink, using a wooden spoon to break up chicken as it cooks. Drain off fat. Add coriander, cumin, and salt to mixture in skillet; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, potato, dried plums, and olives. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; cook 3 minutes more or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, heat tostada shells according to package directions until crisp. Arrange lettuce on a serving platter. Spoon chicken mixture and cheese over top. Coarsely crush tostada shells; sprinkle over salad. If desired, garnish with green onion and/or cilantro.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 272 cal., 12 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 78 mg chol., 596 mg sodium, 25 g carb. (5 g fiber, 9 g sugars), 20 g pro.
Peppered Shrimp and Green Bean Salad
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 20 MINUTES
- For the beans:
- 1 lb. green beans trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne pepper
- For the shrimp:
- 1 lb. medium-large raw shrimp (thawed if frozen), peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus a little extra to brush on roasting pan)
- zest from one lemon (save the lemon and cut into fourths)
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Once the shrimp has been peeled and cleaned, rinse it under cold water. Be sure to pat the shrimp really dry (if the shrimp is not dry it will steam rather than roast!).
- Place the trimmed and cut beans in a bowl and toss with extra virgin olive oil, ground coriander, ground cumin, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and Cayenne pepper.
- Place shrimp in another bowl with the extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
- Brush roasting pan with olive oil or use a non-stick spray, then arrange beans on pan in a single layer (as much as possible). Roast beans 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, toss the beans and arrange shrimp on top and roast 8-10 minutes more or until shrimp are just done.
- Squeeze the four lemon quarters over the shrimp and beans and serve immediately.
1/4 of the recipe: Calories: 208; Total Fat: 8.9g; Saturated Fat: 0.9g; Cholesterol: 155mg; Carbohydrate: 8.2g; Dietary Fiber: 2.8g; Sugars: 1.5g; Protein: 24.5g
8 ounce loaf baguette-style French bread, cut in half lengthwise
pound Japanese eggplant, sliced 1/2-inch thick
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
teaspoon kosher salt
teaspoon ground black pepper
clove garlic, halved
cups baby arugula
- 1 1/2
cups cherry tomatoes, halved
ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1-inch pieces
cup snipped fresh tarragon
cup red wine vinegar
- Brush the cut sides of the bread and the eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Sprinkle eggplant with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- For a gas or charcoal grill, grill the eggplant slices on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender, turning once. Remove to a cutting board and set aside. Grill the bread, cut sides down, for 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted. Cool slightly. Rub bread with cut sides of garlic. Cut bread into bite-size pieces. Place bread and eggplant in a large salad bowl.
- Add arugula, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, tarragon, remaining oil, and vinegar to bowl. Toss all together. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.